Here I bring in the most favourite dish of many mangaloreans. Although a little elaborate a process, it is worth trying.
Time Required -
Preparatory – 6 hours To make – 40 minutes
To Serve -
- Rice – 2 measure
- Green peas – 100 grams (optional)
- Water – 2 measure
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 3 to 5 pieces
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6
- Coconut grates – 2 measure
Preparation of Akki Rava (Rice Grains)
1) Soak rice in water for 2 hours.
2) Drain the complete water and dry the rice in sunlight. Once the rice is dry, put it in mixer and whip it for 3 to 4 times. Rice will break into small grains. Please dont add any water and do the same in small quantities to make good rice rava.
Alternatively, you can buy rice rava from stores as well. Only few selected stores in India sell it.
To Make –
1) Heat oil in a kadai in medium flame. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and wait till 2 minutes until the mustard seeds crackle. Parallelly keep water for boiling in a separate vessel.
2) Now add rice rava, green peas and mix it well. Semi fry the rava with peas. In about 2 to 3 minutes, the rice will give a different flavor. Immediately add coconut grates and mix them well.
3) Add the boiling water to the same and mix it well. Keep stirring in high flame until it becomes very thick and semi boiled. Ensure that all water is evaporated.
4) Allow the mixture to semi cool. (Around 5 to 10 minutes). Make medium-sized balls of the mixture and steam it for 10 to 12 minutes.
If you are steaming in a cooker, please dont put whistle. :-)
Serve it hot with butter and chutney, pickle or any curry of your choice.